Monday, March 12, 2012

¡Estoy viva!

Yes, I am alive. I am sorry that I have not written on here in about a month. Oh gosh, maybe more? Anyways, this life is just so full that writing on my blog becomes intimidating…there is just no way to put everything into words. So I am not going to. From now on I am going to write short blog posts with simple thoughts or updates and maybe some pictures. This should take some pressure off…


A few highlights from the last month…


1. Finishing my first class…a nice 4 hour final of writing about a 10 page essay.
2. Loving my time with my mom and sister. They are the best!
3. Going to lots of different churches and continuously being reminded that the Lord is everywhere!
4. Walks on our beautiful campus with the horses and cows.
5. Watching one of our fellow students spear a fish with a bamboo stick…and then watching him eat it.
6. Having my best friend HANNAH BERVE here with me for a weekend…even though she almost died. However, we did dance the night away in a Tican club before we were aware of her internal deterioration.
7. A long day at the "country club" with my family swimming and turning into a lobster.
8. The wind…oh my gosh. IT NEVER STOPS. 
9. My new class: reading Spanish literature. Poetry is hard in English but Spanish!?
10. Yep, the food is still incredible. I probably eat a mango every day. 


The list could go on forever. The only negative thing is that I miss my friends and family at home a lot. Skype is a beautiful thing. 


Most of all I am learning how to slow down my life when everything around me is fast. The culture here is laid back but when you want to experience all of it, it can get busy. I spend a lot of time doing homework but I am very aware of how much I need the Lord here. One of my friends wrote me a letter and she said that "right now the Word of God is like water to her". It is really becoming the same to me here. I just finished reading through Leviticus in Spanish and let me tell you, that book is challenging and heavy. It was even heavier in another language but God spoke truth to me through it. His grace is sufficient. Through Jesus Christ we no longer have the burden of earning our salvation with sacrifices. Instead He desires a broken and contrite spirit. He wants us to give up trying so hard. He wants us to live in the constant peace that we are saved by the Cross and Resurrection. So now it becomes a joy to sacrifice our lives because we know that through Him we have full life. He is the Lord our God who has rescued us from "la esclavitud" de Egypt and the dryness of the dessert. He invites us into a land of milk and honey. 


So here is my proposal. As we rest in our salvation, let us joyfully give everything we have. That really means DOING things for the people around us. Loving our neighbors. And our neighbors are people all over the world…we wanted globalization so now we have the responsibility to love our neighbors all across the globe…that means Central and South America too!!! 


ok…now some pictures.







1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you were able to see Hannah!!!How did she almost die?

    ReplyDelete