Monday, January 30, 2012

¡El plunge!

¡Hola familia!

It is about 9 pm here and I am completely exhausted but in the best way possible. This is only the second full day here but it feels like a week. We spent the first night and yesterday at the Costa Rica center (which is beautiful) doing orientation things, exploring the campus, eating good food and enjoying our new family here. We are having a lot of fun together already. Also, there is a campus dog named Fei jao and everyone loves him but he is pretty stupid. Jaja.
Today was our first day of really experiencing Costa Rica. We woke up at 6:30 to get breakfast and catch the bus to Heredia. Then they sent us out in groups of three to find different things around la ciudad. We probably walked five miles going back and forth as people so generously gave us directions, even if they had no idea where they were sending us. Needless to say, we really know the el parque central de Heredia and all the things around it. Then we hopped on the bus to San José with all of us making all the local people very angry because we took up some twenty seats. When we got to San José we were sent off in our groups to find lunch and do another scavenger hunt. That did not actually happen because our group rebelled against the list and we did our own thing. We ate in el mercado central and there were endless little restaurants but we ended up eating arroz con pollo and casado and coca cola. I understood soooo much more spanish than I thought I would and had more confidence talking to people than I had expected. We went to the market (el mercado), a few churches, museums and all through the streets. This is my friend José from el mercado and I promised him that I would come back and buy some of his headbands. He showed me literally every single thing in his store and told me what they were called.

When we got really tired after our 10th mile of walking, we had to stop for our first legal drink. Cody got  a Piña Colada and I got a Margarita. They were delicious but pretty expensive. We had a lot of fun eating chips, drinking our delicious drinks, and people watching. 

Anyways, I am in love with the culture and the people here. Los ticos are very friendly and willing to help with directions and spanish. The men are extremely fond of calling us blonde girls "bebé", "guapa", etc. I haven't had very many interactions with the women yet except for a few students at La Una. We start classes tomorrow and we meet our host families on Saturday. I think that I am going to be doing my internship with a youth group in a church and I might get to go on their retreat in a few weekends! My brain is completely dead and so are my legs.

Not really missing home at all. Sorry!

Buenas noches,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment